"But behold, the Lord hath redeemed my soul from hell; I have beheld his glory, and I am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love" (2 Nephi 1:15).
One year ago this week, late on Friday night, I rode home slowly from the hospital with my good friend, Shane. I had just spent the previous hours cradling my sweet son, James’s body, in my arms. As Laura and I entered the ER room, James looked so peaceful lying there on the hospital bed, as if he were sleeping. He looked so peaceful. I walked up to his bedside and lifted his body, draped in a white blanket, into my arms, and then sat down. His body was still warm. His head rested gently in the crook of my right arm and his long legs spilled over my left arm onto Laura’s lap. I kissed his head over and over again and talked to him in soft, soothing tones. Tears ran down my face. My sweet son James was now with Jesus.
An hour or two before, I raced in
the ambulance to the hospital with sirens blaring. “Please,” I prayed, “please let him live and
be happy, healthy and normal. Please let
him come back to me.” The ambulance
driver had told me, as he entered the ambulance, that James was improving, but
he wasn’t out of the woods yet. I took
hope. If I had enough hope and faith, he
would be OK. Besides, these kinds of
things don’t happen to me, do they?
Moments before I kneeled next to
his body with my feet dangling in the pool, placing my hands on his wet hair,
and blessing by the power of the Priesthood to live. Then began to desperately try to remember
everything I had ever learned about CPR.
My mind was in commotion. People
shouted out instructions. A
neighbor-doctor-Bishop raced to the scene while others summoned 9-1-1. Grace looked at me and wanted me to hold
her. “I need to help James. Hug your brother, Spencer.” Some sweet young women then took Spencer and
Grace into the house and provided hours of comfort for them. The Bishop-Doctor arrived and took over. The paramedics arrived. James was safe to be transported. I called Laura and assured her that James had
a heart rate and blood pressure and it looked like he would be OK. She rushed to meet us at the hospital.
When we arrived at the hospital I
was panicked. I wanted to go in and
help, but how? I needed Laura. She called from the lobby and I pushed open
the door to let her in. We then waited
in a room. I pleaded and prayed over and
over and over again “Please let him be OK.
Please let him be OK.” We prayed
together. Laura told me that we just needed
to have faith and trust in the Lord and if it was James’s time to go, then the
Lord would decide. “No,” I thought,
“No. James can’t leave me. I need him.
I need him. I need him.”
When the ER doctor came in the
second time and told us that James was gone, I became numb. “What am I going to do? What am I going to do?” I repeated aloud over
and over again. My Dad called for the
fourth time that night. He had already
told me they were racing down. “James is
with Heavenly Father and Jesus now,” I sobbed into the phone. After I hung up I sobbed “I need my Daddy and
Mommy.” I was again the child.
Laura and I sat there in each
others’ arms and cried. Eventually, a
Police Sergeant and the Bishop-Doctor came in.
They carried consecrated olive oil and the Holy Melchizedek Priesthood
with them. They anointed our heads and
blessed us. As soon as my blessing began,
I broke down. I had cried before, but
now it ALL came out. I could see in my
mind’s eye a 20-year-old missionary James clothed in a white robe and glowing;
standing by and smiling. Was it really
him; was it the Holy Spirit; was it just me?
I don’t know. Peace filled my
soul. I had prayed with all the hope and
faith I could muster that James would live and be whole again. I knew that my faith would make it so. I was right, and I was wrong. His mortal body no longer functioned. However, his Eternal Spirit was liberated and had been
“taken home to that God who gave him life” (Alma 40:11). Taken to my home with me here on earth? No.
James was taken to his Eternal Home with an Eternal Father who loved and
missed him even more than I, his Earthly Father, did.
That night as I rode home in
Shane’s car thoughts and feelings flooded my mind. “Why did it happen?” “What did I do wrong?” “It was all my fault.” “What is Laura going to say, think, and
feel?” “Did I miss a prompting from the Spirit?” Mostly, though, I felt black numbness. I was in the blackest of black holes. I have always known Shane is a wise, wise
man. What he told me that night made a
huge different. “You can’t give into the
guilt. It will eat you up your family
still needs you.” He was right. However, guilt is powerful, and I struggled against that power for many days, weeks and months to come.
Later that night Laura talked to
me. I will never forget what she
said. She said that she doesn’t blame me
and that she never will and that we cannot ever blame ourselves or each other
for what happened. That brought so much peace, so much comfort, so much love to
my aching soul. She is truly my soul
mate. Never had I realized it with
greater clarity than I did at that moment.
I am so blessed by the Lord to have her.
The days and months that followed
were a roller coaster of guilt, anxiety, depression, loneliness, peace,
comfort, love, Priesthood Power, family and friends who became family. Finally, a few months ago, I was blessed with
a more lasting peace. The guilt has finally
been swept completely away.
January was the hardest month
yet. My first birthday without my son,
James, in six years descended. Anxiety,
guilt, depression took hold and didn’t let go.
What has finally brought me lasting peace? Two very important individuals saved me: Jesus Christ and my dear sweet Laura.
I opened up while teaching Elders Quorum the last Sunday in January about
some of the guilt I was feeling. The following fast
Sunday, when talking with one of my Priesthood leaders and good friends, he
said “I don’t know what happened that night.
But I do know this: I know Joe
Farnsworth, and I know that it was not his fault. It is not your fault.” I was filled with peace and love through the
Savior’s Atonement.
Through all of this Laura has
given me unconditional, Christlike love.
It has comforted and filled my soul.
She has borne a grievous burden that no mother should ever have to
bear. She has loved me, Spencer and
Grace as the Savior would. She has
listened and not judged me when I have spilled my soul to her. She has given her all to all three of her
sweet children, and yet she still served me and countless others every
day. She is always the first one to
suggest that someone needs help, needs a friend, needs service. Much like the Savior, she doesn’t just talk
about serving, she serves. Thirteen
years ago this May 18th I made the best decision I have ever made
when I asked Laura to be my wife. I was
and still am thrilled and amazed that she accepted. As you can tell from her previous post, I
have obviously fooled her. Don’t be
deceived by all the nice things she said about me. I know how weak, frail, and foolish I
am. However, for the sake of brevity, I
will not enumerate my faults here. Know
this, though: Laura is more amazing that anyone, even she, could ever
imagine. I am truly, truly, truly
blessed of the Lord.
Many have said: “Wow, I can’t
believe how strong you guys are.” “You
amaze me at how you put it together and go forward on a daily basis. I don’t think I could do it.” Well…I’m not strong. I don’t have it put together. The Savior is strong and He has it put together for me.
Jesus has said , speaking of those who are sick or physically
afflicted: “And the
elders of the church, two or more, shall be called, and shall pray for and lay their
hands upon
them in my name; and if they die they
shall die unto
me, and if they live they shall live unto me.
Thou shalt live together
in love,
insomuch that thou shalt weep for
the loss of them that die, and more especially for those that have not hope of
a glorious resurrection. And it shall
come to pass that those that die in me shall not taste of death,
for it shall be sweet unto
them” (Doctrine and Covenants 42: 44-46).
James did not taste of death. It
was sweet unto him. He is with God, the
Eternal Father, and His Son, Jesus Christ.
The Prophet Alma said, when teaching his son doctrines of a
revelation he had received: “Now, concerning the
state of the soul between death and the resurrection—Behold, it has
been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as
they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether
they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life. And then shall it come to
pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state
of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace,
where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow” (Alma 40:11-12). "And I also beheld that all children who die before they arrive at the years of accountability are saved in the celestial kingdom of heaven" (Doctrine and Covenants 137:10). That’s where James is. Knowing that brings me so much peace and comfort.
Just as Job of old, I too know, that my Redeemer lives and after I have died I will be with Him, Laura, Spencer, James, and Grace in our resurrected bodies and we will continue to be an Eternal Family.
Love to all,
Joseph
Joseph
Joe,
ReplyDeletewhat a beautiful post. you are right you have been blessed with a wonderful wife...I am lucky to call her my friend. We got to spend a few hours together last night and it was so fun to sit back and remember james and all the funny things he did and the beautiful little boy that he was. Laura was saying that her journal is filled with "I need to keep James busy" "What am I going to do with James today?" He was so full of life and spunk. He always brought a smile to my face--I couldn't help but smile when I was around him. I am so happy you guys are our friends! We love your family so much and want nothing more than to ease your burden. I was telling Laura last night that the light that she has is finally back. She is her spunky, funny, sarcastic self and it feels a little more of the Laura I knew a year ago. Keep on doing what you are doing and sticking together!
Love ya
Tara
Thanks so much, Tara. We love you guys, too. It was fun playing "500" and talking with Paul last night at fathers and sons. Laura and I are looking forward to going out with you and Paul in the next couple of weeks or so. Joe
DeleteBrother,
ReplyDeleteYou are a great example to me and have always been such a great friend. I love you and appreciate you more than you know. I don't express it often, but I want you to know that you have been in my thoughts and prayers countless times in the past year and you will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers always.
We think of James often. He is never forgotten in our family and never will be. I have a bunch of photos that I still need to send your way. Madi has a card that we will send for James.
I wish I could come visit you guys in St. George, but I am looking forward to seeing you at the end of the month. Many, many hugs for you and your family.
Much love,
Sam
I feel compelled to say something while at a complete loss of what to say. I am reminded of Pres. Eyring's talk, "Mountains to Climb." He talked about his mother's passing and how she suffered. And how he was told that she needed just a bit more polishing. Pres. Eyring was in awe by how such a wonderful woman could possibly need more polishing, then he thought how much, much more polishing he must need.
ReplyDeleteThat's how I think of you two. How can such wonderful people like you possibly need this "polishing?" Thank you for your testimony. I know I will think of both of you whenever I face hard things. I will try to be as patient through my polishing.
Much love to you both.