background

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Brain surgery for mom

So last Tuesday i came up to meet with my Neurosurgon Dr. Reichman.  He is a great doctor and came very highly recommended.   I felt visiting with him, i could trust the decisions he made because he was very thorough and competant.  He was most concerned that my spinal tap pressure was 22 which he said was to high.  He was also concerned that i was having more issues with my vision.  He thought a brain shunt was the way to go if my vision showed any signs of worsening. He wanted me to have another eye exam and if there was any worsening he would keep me on the schedule for surgery.  He looked at his surgery schedule and realized that his only opening was on Thursday morning of that same week.  We decided that instead of driving back down to saint George i would visit with his friend Dr. Donaldson.  I spent the rest of the afternoon at the eye doctors.  The doctor said that the swelling was about the same, and after a field eye test he said that there was a tiny area around the center of my field of vision that was beginning to grey.  Well that was enough for the surgeon.   So I called Joe and told him he needed to pack for the whole family for at least a week.  We had planned on one day trip and had packed accordingly.   Thank goodness for my wonderful family who stepped up to help us through what has felt like a whirlwind time.  I was very grateful for grandma Farnsworth who watched them during the day of doctors appointments.  I am grateful for Joes work who have totally supported him in being there for me.  They have been so understanding this and past year.  I am grateful for my dad and brother in law who gave me a wonderful blessing to help me calm down and be okay till Joe could be there with me.  There were a lot of little things that happened to remind me that the Lord was aware of me. on the morning of the surgery i was blow drying my hair, i had a list of a whole bunch of brain surgery jokes.  I could hardly do my hair i was giggling so hard.  I am pretty James was feeding them to me so i wouldnt worry so much!  Another thing that really helped was after they get you ready they take you to holding.  You have to take off your glasses and say good bye to your loved ones.  Well i think you are only supposed to be there for 20 minutes.  I was there for over an hour.  I watched everyone else come and go.  I was scared out of my mind about all the possibilities and unkowns.  I didnt have anything or anyone to distract me.  I started to get a little emotional,  i hadnt had time to process it before.  I was starting to get really worried and so i whispered a quick prayer that things would be okay.  Well in swoops Dr. Peterson for another surgery.  The guy across from me was his patient.   Well his daughter Marie and I have been friends since high school, roomates in college,  in each others wedding.  I waved, he didnt see me so i waited for a moment and then said hi,  he came over and we chatted about surgery and lifes ups and downs, you know the usual pre op talk:).  He really helped me feel so much peace about the surgery and life in just those few minutes talking.  Then my surgeon came and it was time to go.  I loved how Heavenly Father uses other people to answer our prayers.  I kept remembering how brave James was whenever he was hurt and tried to picture him there with me and helping me to be brave!!  After the surgery the doctor reported that the pressure had been really high when he placed the shunt, comforting to know i didnt shave my head for naught.  Although it was unexpected, i already feel better and am hopeful this will be a long term fix.  I am grateful for friends and family who have once again helped to sustain us as we try to get through what life throws at us!   the pictures are of flowers my kids(my mom) brought me and my brother and sister.  I also wish i had a picture of the hats my mother in law picked out, very sweet! 
One of the most difficult things about surgery is taking care of my kids while i am down.  My mom, uncle Jared and Aunt Kathy have helped so much.  They also got to go spend some time with a favorite aunt of ours aunt Anne.  They loved going and sleeping over with Quinton and sleeping in the pink room.  It was so sweet to have them so well looked after.  We also have plans to spend some time in heber with brad and michelle.  Lots of family makes the recovery faster and easier!!






2 comments:

  1. Laura, you are one brave lady! Glad to hear the surgery went well! You and your family continue to be in our constant thoughts and prayers. Hang in there! Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mary! You guys are so sweet to always be there for us! You are awesome!

      Delete