background

Monday, February 6, 2012

Fishin' in the Dark




This was pretty close to a perfect day for me. We had a wonderful Sunday to start off our week. We helped our kids to choose a scripture for the year, it turned out to be a really spiritual experience for everyone. We chose Moroni 7:13, 16, &19. I think it goes along well with the primary theme this year of helping them to recognize and choose the right. I felt like I needed to read Timothy which I though odd but did it and realized in chapter two that I need to be a much quieter and kinder mother and wife. Oh and we finally watched Courageous. It was hard to watch them go through their loss but I appreciated the message. All those things played into my day today. My focus was on the people in my life and making sure they felt and knew of my love.

We had breakfast together and read scriptures and Spencer gave me hug before going out the door. "Mom I really wish James was here to walk with me to school. I miss walking to school together." I am so glad that he is finally putting a voice to some of the thoughts that I know are rolling around in there. I held him tight for a while, knowing words are usually aren't enough and told him, I know how he feels, I miss him too. Grace and I sat down and went through flashcards and played a game with her reading words. She did so great! Grace was off to school. She came home and was asked to go to lunch, I had to get the car registered so it worked out. She really wanted me to come so I compromised and said that I would hurry and then come and meet her. So I was able to keep my promise to her and joined her at McDonald's. After we came home Grace wanted to water the plants, which is her job. Then we decided to go on a bike ride.

We met Spencer at the bike rack. Grace wanted to stay and play. Spencer said he needed to make sure that his friend Brock got home safe so he asked if he could ride with him home and then come back. I thought it was a sweet compromise. Grace and I played on the playground which totally brought back so many fun memories of James. He loved school! Well on the way back Spencer told me how he had the best recess with Mrs. Callaghan. They had played a game. I don't know what this game was but Spencer responded so well to it!. Grace got tired on the way back and was having a hard time on her bike. Spencer ran back and asked if he could carry the bike for her. So sweet! He carried his scooter and her bike up the hill. He finally agreed to let me help. We went home and got ready for cello lessons. Spencer gave me a note that he had scored for advance placement in math. He is so bright! After lessons I was getting ready for dinner. Joe called and said he was good but so tired. Ok click that try to be a better wife, so I worked on the dishes with the kids for him so he wouldn't have to do so much.

We had a fun dinner and then headed to go fishing for fhe. Yes I know what you are thinking... February, full moon, fish. I didn't think it would be that great. I was wrong. Grace decided that we all needed fishing names I was bob Joe was Jack, Spencer was nibbler, Grace was stinky feet. We had such a funny time calling each other by our weird names we were all giggling. Well the fish in this pond are all albino trout and you could see them in the full moon so it was kind of like cheating fishing but we caught four good size trout. Who knew we would be so lucky. So one of the funniest things was the bathroom was locked and Grace had to pee. We finally found a rock that resembled a toilet and she was able to stop dancin. We were walking back to the boys and she saw a grass bush and she said in this maniacal voice..."I should have peed on this bush and then it would grow big and huge..." Maniacal laughter after. It was so funny. Then we drove home listening to Fishin in the dark, good song. We were getting ready for bed, I helped make the kids beds cause I knew how tired Joe was, I may have mentioned it to Spencer while we were making his bed, cause next thing I knew he was out washing all the dishes for his dad. He was standing there in his little boxers fighting a smile cause it felt so good inside. I loved it. Joe and I went and helped him and hugged him and helped some more. Then I left for a massage and giggled with Amber the entire time about my funny family.

I think having endured the hardest and worst days of my life so far makes days like today special. When I feel happiness and joy it is so much deeper then it used to be. Maybe it is because it is harder to get myself to that point or maybe it is because I value my family, life and feelings so much more. It may sound like an ordinary day to some, but it feels incredible and happy to me. I love my Jack, nibbler and stinky feet and hope we can go fishing in the dark again.

1 comment:

  1. That does sound like a perfect day! I'm so happy for you! I've been thinking of you and your family a lot lately. It was fun to read such a wonderful update.

    ReplyDelete