I peered around the corner of the garage and Spencer was trying to unearth James old bike for his friend to ride. I thought that is sweet but OOOWWW. I really didn't want his bike ridden. Selfish, I know; but I am not saying how I feel is right. Watching that little green bike make it's way down the street ridden by James best friend made me cry. On on hand I am grateful that life goes on and is good for most people. Sad that my little boy isn't riding his bike. It really was like a second appendage to him. I think if he could have he would have slept with it in his bed. Ok so one more bandage of healing ripped off....this will now start to heal. James would have shared his bike if was here, I should be willing to share it since he is not here to do it himself.
background
Friday, February 3, 2012
The maiden voyage of James Bike
Kids were out playing and I hear something I haven't heard in 8 months, the sound of a basketball bouncing on our driveway. It seemed each bounce kind of echoed in my heart and got me thinking of our cute son who, as boys in the neighborhood called him, was a semi-pro. James was taught by our neighbor Tyler down the street how to shoot and he spent hours shooting over and over on our little driveway. I loved playing one on one with him. James was so polite and had very good sportsmanship for a 6 year old. I tried to teach him to shoot and he politely told me that it was not the correct way and said he was glad it worked for me. After every shot it was classified as either Awesome or good job. Either way you felt good about playing with him. I was really nervous about him playing in our front yard because I know how little kids don't look when balls go out in the road. We practiced looking before running out in the street. Anyway I miss that echo of the basketball everyday especially now that it is warming up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yes, I miss playing one-on-one with our Little Jimmer. He was really good! Seriously, he could consistently make shots at the 10 foot height. I would try to take it easy on him because I clearly had a height advantage, but he didn't need that. He was really good. It was especially fun when I would take on both Spencer and James. They would play basketball so well together.
ReplyDeleteI, too, miss his green speeder racing up and down the sidewalk and his screams of "Hi Marilyn!" or "Hi Robyn" to our neighbors. I guess now we just have to carry on that tradition! ;-)
Joe, I hope you get a turn on the green speeder. And I want pictures ;-)
ReplyDeleteI will make sure to take it for a spin this week and post the pictures! ;-)
ReplyDelete